Friday, April 18, 2008

I have caterpillars!

Thursday morning
I have caterpillars! They will turn into butterflies.

There are six. At least three will stay alive. And three might die.

They are really really tiny black caterpillars.

Friday morning
They have shedded some skin now and there's a lot more balls of food so they've been eating really good.

The webbing has gotten shorter and there's a little bit of shedded skin in the webbing. There's a little bit of webbing on the other side, too.

They're all a little big longer or a little bit shorter than a half of an inch.

Friday night
The big ones are between 5/8 and 3/4 of an inch, but the little one is only exactly a half of an inch.

They have grown a lot in 12 hours!

We completed a unit about butterflies and moths and now we're raising a batch of six Painted Lady caterpillars. We ordered this kit and they were shipped to us from Carolina Biological Supply Company. Addy had fun tracking their FedEx delivery route on Google Earth from North Carolina to Ohio to our house with stops in between. Unfortunately our camera is broken so we can't track their growth with photos yet.

1 comment:

Holli and Chris said...

Addy,
You probably don't remember me, but I am a friend of your mom & dad. I live in Colorado, and I have caterpillars too! I helped about 35 kids your age do a caterpillar project like yours and there were a few (about 25) caterpillars left over, so I have them in my office at work. I have a job that is a little like your dad's job, but I also get to do 4-H with kids. You're in 4-H, right? Many of the caterpillars are in their chrysalis right now, and I'm just waiting for them to become butterflies. I'll post some pictures of them on my blog next week so you can look. My blog is www.CampbellClanChronicle.blogspot.com
I hope you visit. Tell your mom & dad I said HI!
~Holli