Thursday, September 1, 2011

Egg cartons and muffin tins

Today I put together a surprise for the kids when they wake up, using supplies from my kitchen.

The girls will be working with egg cartons. These hold 30 each and we rescued them after a community breakfast before they were thrown out. (I was too embarassed to ask permission to steal the garbage, so Bob did it for me.)

Addy's egg tray is a multiplication table with 5 columns and 6 rows. She will multiply up to 30 and put the appropriate number of beans in each hole. Daddy brought the beans home from a farmers' field tour.

Dori's egg carton is labeled 1-30 so she can practice her counting. I made sure the 5-10-15-20-25-30 numerals lined up so we can practice skip counting by 5s.

The boys each have a muffin tin. They will do free play, but I'll encourage them to put one item per hole as a fine motor activity. They may throw them on the floor or bang them together. Whatever. A secondary goal is to keep them busy while the girls work.

The tins are filled with goodies Aunt Carol gave us over the years, knowing they might make fun math manipulatives.




No comments: