Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cutworm

I helped Daddy get enough cutworms to prove that cutworms are travelling into Michigan. I helped him prove it by giving him my cutworm moth out of my bug box. I went with him and looked for some more in the trap in a corn field.

Daddy gave me a cutworm moth to put in my bug box that I took to the fair, but I had to give it to him to prove that they're travelling into Michigan. He promised me that he'll get me one for next year.





Note from Mom: Addy said she felt proud of herself when she saw the results of her trips to check the trap with Bob published in the Pioneer ad, above bottom, in Michigan Farm News. Their trap is the one in the county at the tip of the Thumb (mustard color). Bob made the trap out of a milk jug, antifreeze and pheremone as an attractant. Addy sometimes went along this summer when Bob checked and emptied it. We sometimes wonder why schoolchildren are made to do meaningless, made-up projects when there is so much real and meaningful work in which they can participate. Not everyone has a father doing Extension research, but ...

1 comment:

Luke Holzmann said...

Huzzah for practical application of education!

~Luke