Monday, December 8, 2008

Why I Want to Become a Farmer



by Addy, age 6

I want to be a farmer because my favorite part is going in the pens and helping my Uncle Duane to feed the calves. I also would like to be a farmer because I like nature and I think if I were a farmer I’d be around nature a lot.

I like to be a farmer, too, because you get to decide how much food your animals will eat and without getting too much or getting not enough.

I would like to be possibly a maple syrup farmer or a dairy farmer. My Grandma and Grandpa B. do maple syrup and my Grandma and Grandpa S. do dairy farming.

I have been practicing a lot. I am in 4-H and I also have some little corn plants by my turtle at home. I have been raising a bunny, which is really good practice, and I am going to move into the country and in the early spring help my B. grandparents with the maple syrup. I think when you’re making maple syrup it smells really good in the air.

I think that being a dairy farmer, the barn always smells good with manure. I have smelled when people are harvesting sugar beets, and I think it smells really good, but it doesn’t smell as good as fresh sugar beets. I’ve eaten a sugar beet before. They taste really good and crunchy.

I am going to go to Michigan State to be a farmer.

I would also like to be an astronaut. I think if there is any life at all up there, that I will be one of the first ones to discover it.

I am independent. Even though I am a girl, I would like to be a farmer.

3 comments:

Nini said...

That is a great story! Good thinking, good writing, good spelling. You can be anything you want, whether you are a girl or a boy.
Love,
Aunt Nini

Anonymous said...

That is great Addy, Being a farmer. My name is Bob, I live in Kenya. Producing food is our main challenge, and I am so glad you are looking forward to produce food for all those people out there. I try to do that too here in Kenya. Great!

Luke Holzmann said...

Keep aspiring to great things, Addy!

Food production is vital to the future of humanity, so that is a great and noble goal. And I've met some very nice dairy farmers from Michigan, so that's a good place to go [smile].

And independence can be a very good thing as long as you recognize the areas where you need help and are not too proud to get assistance.

Keep working hard at your writing. You're doing great!

~Luke