Monday, September 24, 2007

Addy learns about handwriting

Handwriting is in the middle. Handwriting in the middle means that I don't like handwriting and I like handwriting. That's why it is kind of in between.

We do wet, dry, try. First, Mommy writes a letter on the chalkboard. I erase it. Then I dry it. Then I write it. Then I do the same thing over again.

We use a system for traditional manuscript writing called Handwriting Without Tears. It is especially good for lefties, as it helps Addy see that she should start most of her letters and numbers in the starting corner (top left) to avoid reversals. The books give us good memory aids to help form the letters. We use a small chalkboard for the wet, dry, try method Addy described. First I demonstrate how to make a letter on the chalkboard. Then she erases it along my lines with a tiny, wet sponge to work on her pincer grasp and let her arm feel how to do the strokes in the correct order. Then, she dries it with a bit of paper towel to get more practice making the stroke before she moves on to paper. Finally, she practices the letter on paper. While some handwriting programs have the child trace one letter, then make a whole row of letters on their own (often getting worse with each try, I have noticed!), with this one she traces one, then makes one of her own, then traces another, and so on. It helps her keep it in the right form each time. By the end of a page, she can do each letter well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Addy!

Handwriting is hard to learn, but it's a very useful skill. You already write well.

Soon you can leave notes for your daddy when he comes home from work. Like, "we're playing at the park, come and join us!"

Love,

Aunt Beth